Monday, September 21, 2009
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Monday, August 17, 2009
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
Saturday, July 18, 2009
We have still made alot of progress. We have uncovered the front of the house and have discovered a gem. We are definitly keeping the top half original. This will also save us alot of time since installing siding on the second level is a slow process. Now I need to think of painting schemes for this new discovery. Unfortunaly the front stoop (sp?) will probably need to be removed. After investigating it, we don't believe that it is structurally sound. It also is not original to the house. I need to quickly decide what I'm going to do about it.
Monday, July 6, 2009
Sunday, June 7, 2009
The first side is done. It has only taken us 6 weeks. I still need to caulk all the seams and paint a final coat on the siding and trim. I'll get that done next weekend.
I don't think we will be finishing the house this year but whatever we get done this year is less we have to do next year. I have alot of business trips this month so i don't think this will be a very productive month. I have a one week trip in Ohio and a two week trip in Germany and Sweden.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
I'm having second thoughts about the siding color. It kinda looks old peopleish to me. I'm going to stick with it though. Maybe it will grow on me.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
One of the problems that is holding us up is the rain and heat. It seems that if it isn't pouring down rain, it's super hot. This is the reason that I wanted to start around the end of March. Not the middle of May. If we would have started when I wanted to, we might be on to the next side of the house. The good news is that Dan and I both still have 2 weeks of vacation left this year. So I hope to use it sparingly until the begining of fall. Then it's desperation time.
Monday, May 11, 2009
First is the dining room
The wall of paneling and a really badly done chair rail...
and the really leaky windows
The trim doesn't look that bad but up close it was a mess. There was paint all over the edges and they had about a million little nail holes.
New windows and repaired trim. I don't think the picture came out very well though. The trim doesn't look as red in real life. (BTW our dining room is really the workout room)
And the doorway that will eventually have pocket doors reinstalled into them
These pictures in general are pretty crappy but I don't like showing my half completed work.
Now the staircase.
It seems like I never took before pictures which is too bad because it was hideous. They were encased in carpet that was nastier than any hotel carpet I have ever seen. 2 years ago we ripped the carpet up and I spent the summer carefully stripping each piece of wood. I know that people often will take the whole staircase apart and get each pieced dipped, but I was afraid that all the pieces would never go back together and we would forever be accessing the upstairs through use of a ladder. So I went the slow way. Anyway we have been living with a half done staircase for the last 2 years so I have decided that it is going to be finished this year. Maybe even this month.
It's hard to see the difference between the undone and the done parts in this picture.
The top landing...with every door trim freshly stained and polyurethaned.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
The original siding is in pretty bad shape on this side. It looked like there has been a lot of work done to this area. I am contemplating tearing it all off and replacing this whole side with fiber cement. We can save the salvageable boards for use on the rest of the house. We are currently getting quotes on similar siding but I have a feeling that they will be very expensive.
Today I got to work a little on the stair case and the living room trim. Slowly I am getting this project complete.
Added siding pictures:
Sunday, May 3, 2009
My dining room is currently filled to the brim with living room furniture because I am currently working on the trim in there and I painted the ceiling this weekend.
Oh Dan and I stumbled across a awesome find last weekend. We had found the old parlor doors in the walls last year but only one of them still had the rollers. I had been looking around on the internet trying to find replacements or instructions on how to use modern hardware. I found one place to get replacements but they were 200-250 per pair and they weren't quite the same. Well last weekend we went to the preservation station and the first thing we saw were 2 sets of the pocket door rollers. They are not exactly like what we had found in our wall but they looked like they would work and they were only 20/pair.
Next weekend I plan to continue working on the staircase and living room trim. If the weather is nice I will stain the fence. I have been pushing off staining the fence because I really need to start building my tan for the summer so I have been waiting until it is warm enough to wear tank tops and shorts outside.
Since now I have officially started the home improvement again for the summer, plan to see updates weekly.
Saturday, March 28, 2009
I haven't updated in awhile but...it's was winter. We didn't really do anything. I hope to get the dining room finished in the next few weeks. I also need to stain the fence outside as well. We have decided to replace all the carpets this year too. I am awaiting a good sale for me to order them. Once the dining room is finished I'll add photos.
Paint all doors
Repaint main bathroom, I dislike the color I originally painted it
Install tile floors in main bathroom
Install new toilet in bathroom
Finish rehabilitating the original molding of the living and dining room
Finish the staircase
Replace upstairs windows - 2 left
Refinish downstairs hardwood floors
Move cold air return so that the original pocket doors can be installed - Done
Replace downstairs windows - Done
Get new sliding patio door for the kitchen
Paint dining room - Done
Get new siding