Monday, May 11, 2009

Progress

I've taken a few pictures of the finished dining room trim and staircase. Well the staircase isn't finished yet...

First is the dining room

Before:

The wall of paneling and a really badly done chair rail...


and the really leaky windows


The trim doesn't look that bad but up close it was a mess. There was paint all over the edges and they had about a million little nail holes.

Finished

New windows and repaired trim. I don't think the picture came out very well though. The trim doesn't look as red in real life. (BTW our dining room is really the workout room)


And the doorway that will eventually have pocket doors reinstalled into them


These pictures in general are pretty crappy but I don't like showing my half completed work.


Now the staircase.

It seems like I never took before pictures which is too bad because it was hideous. They were encased in carpet that was nastier than any hotel carpet I have ever seen. 2 years ago we ripped the carpet up and I spent the summer carefully stripping each piece of wood. I know that people often will take the whole staircase apart and get each pieced dipped, but I was afraid that all the pieces would never go back together and we would forever be accessing the upstairs through use of a ladder. So I went the slow way. Anyway we have been living with a half done staircase for the last 2 years so I have decided that it is going to be finished this year. Maybe even this month.


It's hard to see the difference between the undone and the done parts in this picture.





The top landing...with every door trim freshly stained and polyurethaned.

1 comment:

Leap Photography said...

I feel your pain! I've been going through all the moldings in our 1917 Bungalow since we moved in, in 2004.

Looks great, keep up the great work!